Irene Ross, who takes a food-first, functional approach to health coaching, has been educating and guiding clients for 10 years. She draws from her own experience with a particularly nasty episode of peri-menopause in her early 30s, and a wonderful physician who was trained in both Western and Ayurvedic techniques and emphasized the importance of body/mind, healthy food and lifestyle techniques.
“I work on two tracks. The first being that, of course, I am going to address your immediate concerns right away. But all the while I will be exploring the root cause of your problem; for example, are your eating habits really feeding the “hunger hormone” –and that’s why you’re not losing weight? Do you have trouble sleeping because of a hormonal imbalance, such as adrenal dysfunction? Could your insomnia be caused by a nutrient deficiency that interrupts serotonin-melatonin creation, so necessary for setting your sleep patterns? Could the wrong foods be resulting in a nutritional deficiency that affects your Thyroid? Address the root cause, and you’ll address the symptoms.”
She began her wellness studies at New York City’s Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) where she studied over 100 dietary theories with:
My instructors included:
- Joshua Rosenthal, MScEd, founder and director of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition
- Deepak Chopra, MD, world leader in Mind-Body Medicine and director of education at The Chopra Center. Deepak Chopra is also a bestselling author
- David Katz, MD, MPH, director, Yale Prevention Research Center and authority on preventive medicine and weight management,
- Walter Willett, MD, DrPH, chair, Department of Nutrition at Harvard University School of Public Health
- Andrew Weil, MD, bestselling author and expert on Integrative Medicine and Mind-Body Interactions
- Susan Blum, MD, MPH, Functional Medicine Doctor and, founder, Blum Center for Health
- Mark Hyman, MD, founder and medical director, The UltraWellness Center, Bestselling Author
- Geneen Roth, bestselling author and pioneer of emotional eating and empowerment
- David Wolfe, bestselling author and expert of superfoods and raw nutrition
- Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH, professor, Paulette Goddard Nutrition, Food Studies and Public Health at New York University
SHE LATER CONTINUED ADDITIONAL TRAININGS:
- University of Arizona, School of Nutrition and Health Promotion: Dr. Punam Ohri-Vachaspati, associate professor, nutrition; Nicole Vaudrin, registered dieticion and doctoral candidate.
- Hormone Specialist, Dr. Sara Gottfried, Harvard-trained MD and NY Times best-selling author of The Hormone Cure and The Hormone Reset Diet
- Dr. Anna Cabeca, DO, FACOG, ABAARM, an expert in women’s health and a Functional Medicine physician. Dr. Cabeca is board certified in Obstetrics/Gynecology, Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine
- Dr. Josh Axe, DNM, DC, CNS, certified doctor of functional medicine, clinical nutritionist and certified doctor of chiropractic
- Thyroid Specialist Dr. Alan Christianson, ND
- Dr. Shiroko Sokitch, MD, founder of Heart to Heart Medical Center
- Marilena Minucci, MS, CHC, BCC, creator of the Quantum Coaching Method™, author of Quantum Coaching Questions: Definitive Guide for Coaching on the Art of Listening and Asking Questions, and Director of Training for HealthWorld Online
- Rhonda Britten, creator of the Fearless Living Institute
Irene, who holds degrees in communications from Marist College, also studied journalism at New York University and is working toward certification as a functional medicine practitioner.